Leading Him to Christ

>> Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Let me hear Your loving kindness in the morning, for in You do I trust; teach me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You. ~Psalm 143:8

It seems like just yesterday that he was baptized; a darling four-month-old with quite a set of lungs when jolted from a nap. Two Sundays ago, he experienced his first Holy Communion; a quiet and well-behaved eight-year-old boy who shyly sang with his peers, "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus in the morning, Jesus at the noon-time. Jesus! Jesus! Jesus when the sun goes down."

Yes, of course I cried. I cried at how quickly he had grown from an adventurous toddler to a sweet little boy. I cried with gratitude for the tender heart and affectionate soul that I always knew we shared. I cried at the sound of his quiet little voice whispering, "Amen", before he took the Body of Christ. I cried as I watched his little hand form the Sign of the Cross over his forehead and chest. And I cried when he turned around to find me, smiling proudly as he caught my eye, as if to let me know not to worry anymore because Jesus was with him.

In a troubled and quickly changing world, it's often difficult not to be cynical. It's hard to know who to trust or where to put your faith. Uncertainty can easily take over hope for the future, especially in a country divided. But as I watched my son smiling that day, I realized that there is no reason for uncertainty; there is no reason to search for someone to trust, a leader who can unite us all for the common good. He is already here, and He is all we really need.

The months preceding Dayton's First Communion were filled with games, lessons, and activities that helped explain the Holy Eucharist to 7 and 8 year olds. Ironically, though I tried my best to guide him along, it was he who led me back to Christ. The innocence of a quiet little boy, whose knowledge of the world did not extend past the narrow roads of our small town; who had no worries about anything else...because Jesus was with him.

So I think I'll follow my son's lead and try not to let the world overwhelm me. Because the Hope that I believe in has never changed, and I need not look further than my own heart to find Him.

7 comments:

susy May 13, 2009 at 5:40 AM

My son had his confirmation on Sunday and celebrates his first Holy Communion next month. It is such a special time for them. Well done to your little man.
Cheers,
Sue.

mary h. May 14, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Such a beautiful post.

PattiHutch May 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Oh Mellette,

What a beautiful post. I have tears in my eyes too. My (twin) boys received their First Holy Communion last year and I know just how you feel. My son and daughter have a few more years to go. I look forward to all of us receiving communion together!

Congrats!
~Patti

Tina May 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Congratulations Mellette to you and Dayton. There is nothing like when your children profess their faith. My prayer is that your precious son Dayton will hang on to that childlike faith as he grows and lifes challenges face him. May God continue to bless your family!

Tina Collins

Mellette May 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Congrats to your son, Susy, for going through Confirmation, and best wishes for his Communion next month!

Mary, thanks so much for your kind words.

Patti, there's nothing like receiving Communion as a family and worshipping together.

Tina, your beautiful, heartfelt words mean so much to me. Thank you.

~Mellette

Jen Brannon May 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM

What a beautiful post, Mellette! I've always loved your scrapbook art, but I love your memories of your son's First Holy Communion even more! God has given us such an awesome task in our vocation as parents! I love how your faith infuses your writing on your blog (and in your life!). You're a wonderful mom and artist! Keep up the great work! Congratulations!

Jill Godon Cruz May 24, 2009 at 10:58 AM

This is such a beautiful post, thank you for sharing. I can still remember my first Holy Communion, how very special it felt. There were years that followed when it lost its meaning for me, when I lost sight of how wonderful communion is... then a few years back I was reminded again. Have you ever read Christopher West's "Theology of the Body Explained" or "Theology of the Body for Beginners"? Those two books are what really keep me grounded and brought me back to Christ after falling prey to this cynical, divided and changing world. Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body is a great teaching for the true meaning of life, love and sacrifice. After reading & re-reading West's books, I feel like that 7 year old girl again, making her first communion, loving Christ and feeling at peace with Him always by my side.

Recommended Reading

• TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
  • THE JOURNEY by Billy Graham
  • THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy
  • FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes
  • THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini
  • CHARACTER IS DESTINY by John McCain
  • EPICENTER by Joel Rosenberg
  • THE SHACK by William Paul Young

Giving Back

WORLD VISION
Building a better world for children through child sponsorship.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES USA
Providing help. Creating hope.
JUVENILE DIABETES RESEARCH FOUNDATION Dedicated to finding a cure.
THE JOSHUA FUND