We found a large mass...

>> Sunday, August 2, 2009

I will love the light for it shows me the way. Yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. ~Og Mandino

Hello friends and family. I apologize for not being around the last few months. It has been a hectic and difficult summer for us, to say the least. My first-born and only daughter, Maysie, graduated from high school in June (more on that later). We lost one brother-in-law to a heartbreaking divorce and another to the effects of Alzheimer's Disease. But by far, the most trying event hit us about a month ago and to be honest, I still find myself trying to process all that has happened.

Last month, my mom was diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal cancer. During a routine check-up, the doctor noticed a large mass that was later determined to be cancerous. Because of the depth of the tumor and positive lymph node involvement, she will undergo six weeks of daily chemotherapy and radiation treatment in an attempt to shrink the tumor down prior to surgical excision. Her first week of treatment started this past Monday. Tomorrow, week two begins.
My mom has truly surprised me. She does not complain. She does not feel sorry for herself. She feels fortunate that the doctors found the tumor before it spread to other organs in her body. She laughs much more than she cries. She gets up every morning ready to take on the day. She says love is always worth the fight. She thanks God that she is surrounded by family and friends who love and take care of her. She is affectionate and strong and loving. And she is grateful to be alive.

I don't think there is any way to fully prepare ourselves for all of the curve balls life decides to throw at us. All we can do is say a prayer, keep our eye on the ball, and swing as hard as we can. My mom is a profile in courage. Her optimism is contagious. You would never know that she is a cancer patient, or that she is in pain, or exhausted, or sad. Her winning spirit is what holds our family together; her sweet smile a beacon of hope. She amazes me, inspires me, humbles me. I have never been more proud.

I believe my mom can win this battle. But much like baseball, surviving cancer can't be achieved alone. In many ways, it is a team sport. I am truly grateful for the group of compassionate and competent doctors that care for her. And I know this would be much more difficult for her to endure without my dad's constant encouragement and unconditional love. Our family is completely dedicated to my mom's recovery, but I also believe in the power of prayer.

So I ask of anyone reading my blog, a simple request: please keep my mom in your prayers; that she remain steadfast and strong, and that hope and peace continue to fill her heart.

Thank you so much and God bless.

23 comments:

Jennifer Stewart August 3, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Mellette,
You can count on me to be praying. I know what you are going thru, know the emotions you are experiencing. God is in control and will see all of you thru this. That's wonderful she is able to have the chemo to try and shrink it and that surgery is an option. That IS good news. And how wonderful that your mom is staying so positive. It sounds like she has a wonderful support system around her.

Much love,
Jennifer

susy August 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM

You most definately have my thoughts and prayers. Cancer has touched my family in the last few years and I know of the mixture of emotions that go with supporting those fighting it. I lost my sister four years ago ( would have been a different result with earlier diagnosis) and my Mum had a breast off and lymph nodes removed three years ago, I am thankful to say she is still going strong. Attitude and support are everything, and early diagnosis goes a long way. I follow your blog regularly so hope to hear good news in the future. Mean while stay brave and strong, and even though you probably do already, tell her you love her often.
Xx

t.collins726 August 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Mellette you and your family most definately have my support in prayer. I also believe your mom has the strength, the desire and the supportive family to beat this.
Keep us updated. Stay Strong my friend.

Tina Collins

Shelley Laming August 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Lifting you guys up in prayers ... keeping you in my thoughts. Your mom sounds like a remarkable lady with a fantastic attitude.

Gaye August 3, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Hi Mellette,
I just want you to know that your mom is in my prayers. I'm praying also that your family may have the strength to get through this.

ProFit Properties, LLC August 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Mellette,

Your Mom and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

~PattiHutch

Gigi August 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. It sounds as though she has the right attitude to beat this and I truly believe in the power of prayer. Keeping her & your family in my prayers...big hugs to you.

Betsy August 3, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Mellette,
I was so sorry to hear about your mom. I will be keeping her in my prayers and your whole family. Your mom sounds like such a wonderful and strong person! Lots of love to you!

ginny August 4, 2009 at 1:57 PM

At times like this, we need to remember God never gives us more than we can handle. Stay strong, Mellette, both for mom & yourself. Today the internet seems so inadequate, I wish I could just reach out & give you a hug & hold your hand. I'll be praying for your mom & your family.

Jill Godon Cruz August 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Yes, I will certainly remember to keep her in my prayers. Thank you for sharing. I will pray for your strength, as well.

Ali August 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I am praying for your Mom, Mellette. Sending them from Ireland.

Becca August 10, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Oh sweetie-
I had absolutely no idea what you were going through.

I will certainly pray for you and your mom and the rest of your family.

Can I do anything for you? For real...if there's anything I can do from here, I will. I'm getting ready for my crop--this year, on Sept. 12th--but if there's anything I can do in the meantime, please LMK. I DO believe in the power of prayer--and I believe in multiple voices binding together to bring peace and comfort to the sick and to those who hurt.

In Christ's Love,
Becca

Amy Marner August 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Melette

Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. She is certainly blessed to have a daughter that loves her so much. I will be lifting up your family in my prayers.

Grace and Peace in ABUNDANCE!
Amy M. Colorado

~L August 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It's wonderful that your mom has such a wonderful attitude. That's what will pull her through.

kemmy magdalene August 20, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Hi Mellette, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I believe God is in control of all things. It is a beautiful thing to be able see God in all things. Your mom is a miracle of strength and faith in God. Xoxo.

ginny August 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Mellette, just checking on your Mom. Hope her treatments are going well.
I'm praying for you both.

Ali August 23, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Just thinking about your Mom today, Mellette. Sending hugs and prayers from Ireland.

Ali in Ireland

Lisa September 4, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Thinking of your mom today. Thought I'd check here to see. Prayers for her.

Tina September 5, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Just checking in to see how your mom is doing. I will continue to pray. I am thinking of you and your family Mellette. I hope Maysie is doing well in college<3

Tina Collins

Shirley September 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM

So sorry to hear about your mum. Her courage and selflessness is inspiring. Will keep her in our prayers and our thoughts! Take care! God bless!

Debbie September 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM

I'm so sorry Mellette! Your Mom and your family will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. She sounds like a strong and faithful woman. I know she certainly raised and amazing daughter.
love,
Deb

Debbie October 21, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I'll send a prayer for a full recovery. I have been in your place with my mom and Breast Cancer this past year. We almost lost her and it's been very hard to watch.

La Creative Latina Diva November 13, 2009 at 7:42 AM

My heart goes out to you. I found out a week ago that my Mother has breast cancer. It was a big blow to my heart as I just recently was diagnosed with heart disease and had to have an ICD implanted. This has been quite a year. I will most certaining remember your Mom in my prayers, as well as your entire family. It affects us all.

Recommended Reading

• TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
  • THE JOURNEY by Billy Graham
  • THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy
  • FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes
  • THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini
  • CHARACTER IS DESTINY by John McCain
  • EPICENTER by Joel Rosenberg
  • THE SHACK by William Paul Young

Giving Back

WORLD VISION
Building a better world for children through child sponsorship.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES USA
Providing help. Creating hope.
JUVENILE DIABETES RESEARCH FOUNDATION Dedicated to finding a cure.
THE JOSHUA FUND